qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Networking problems

From: Daniel Carrera
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Networking problems
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2010 22:15:26 +0200

On Thu, Aug 12, 2010 at 9:35 PM, Cliff Wright <address@hidden> wrote:
> Its been a while since updating qemu, so on old version I had
> -net nic,model=ne2k_pci -net user -redir tcp:2023::22 -soundhw es1370
> is the missing "-net user" causing you trouble?

Actually, yes, the "-net user" flag makes a difference. The QEMU
documentation *says* that it is not necessary, so I omitted it. But if
you add "-net user" then at least NetBSD can get an IP and gateway
from QEMU's DHCP server.

Unfortunately, that's as far as it goes. It still cannot go online.
When NetBSD tries to "ping 10.0.2.3" (gateway I think) it just gets
100% packet loss. Let me show you qemu's output on the command line:

--------%<--------
$ qemu -cdrom foo.iso -hda bar.img -net nic,model=ne2k_pci -net user -no-acpi
open /dev/kvm: No such file or directory
Could not initialize KVM, will disable KVM support

Judging from wikipedia, KVM is a reference to kernel-based native
virtualization using Intel VT-x or AMD-V. Unfortunately, my CPU is
just a bit to old to support VT-x so naturally I don't get KVM. But
QEMU should not require KVM to work, since that's a very recent
feature on Linux.

Daniel.
--
Intolerant people should be shot.