qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] OS with only segmentation - will it be faster?

From: C K Kashyap
Subject: [Qemu-devel] OS with only segmentation - will it be faster?
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2010 10:02:06 +0530

Hi,
This is not strictly qemu related but I think people who have a good idea about it must be on this list.
I was wondering if I had an app that requires a fixed quantity of memory - sufficiently less than the available physical memory. Would it benefit from getting rid of the paging mechanism in the OS/hardware?
As in, since the number of tasks are also fixed - we'd use only segmentation to partition the VM area? Would eliminating the paging layer give good returns?

--
Regards,
Kashyap