qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] OS with only segmentation - will it be faster?

From: malc
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] OS with only segmentation - will it be faster?
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2010 08:45:11 +0400 (MSD)

On Fri, 13 Aug 2010, C K Kashyap wrote:

> Hi,
> This is not strictly qemu related but I think people who have a good idea
> about it must be on this list.
> I was wondering if I had an app that requires a fixed quantity of memory -
> sufficiently less than the available physical memory. Would it benefit from
> getting rid of the paging mechanism in the OS/hardware?
> As in, since the number of tasks are also fixed - we'd use only segmentation
> to partition the VM area? Would eliminating the paging layer give good
> returns?

Microsoft researchers working on Singularity claimed[1] that it does
provide significant speed improvements, and recent (few days ago)
discussion on comp.arch suggested as much (no need to go though TLB).

[1]
http://channel9.msdn.com/shows/Going+Deep/Singularity-A-research-OS-written-in-C/
    (maybe the claim was made in some other video, in any case it should
     be there on Channel 9)

--
mailto:address@hidden