qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Re: Should QMP be RPC to internal C interfaces?

From: Anthony Liguori
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Re: Should QMP be RPC to internal C interfaces?
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2010 08:05:30 -0500

On 08/31/2010 07:58 AM, Luiz Capitulino wrote:
On Tue, 31 Aug 2010 14:48:51 +0200
Markus Armbruster<address@hidden>  wrote:

Anthony Liguori<address@hidden>  writes:

[...]
My position is that we aren't any closer to having compatible APIs
then we were with the human monitor.  I think we need to focus on
compatibility and that that has to be solved as the QEMU interface
level.  I contend that it's not solvable at the QMP level.
We've argued from day 0 every step along the way.  And here we are, one
year later, still arguing about the very basics.

There's a fundamental disagreement.  I want to keep QMP the way it was
designed: supporting compatible evolution.  You want to remake it from
the ground up as RPC to internal C interfaces.

It seems exceedingly unlikely to me that we can agree on the wisdom of
such a remake.  We can repeat and elaborate on our arguments for a
while, but let's face it: we want different things.
Yes, that's the fundamental problem here.

Okay, so what's the path forward?

I've proposed something that I think can get us out of the rut that we're in. I've got code to support that.

Ignoring what I've proposed, what do we do differently?

Regards,

Anthony Liguori

I'm afraid I can't build you the thing you want.  The best I can offer
is to step out of the way and let you build it.