qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: Unmaintained QEMU builds

From: Andreas Färber
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: Unmaintained QEMU builds
Date: Sat, 4 Sep 2010 16:03:05 +0200

Am 18.08.2010 um 10:31 schrieb Paolo Bonzini:

On 08/17/2010 09:56 PM, Anthony Liguori wrote:
If Paolo's Win32 threads get merged, would there be other reasons
against continuing Win32 support?

I think a better question would be, should we even bother with thread
wrappers? If we drop win32 support, we can just assume pthreads and
avoid a layer of indirection.

Yes, we would. qemu_thread_create ensures the newly-created thread won't receive any signals, for example.

Some day the wrappers could even start using futexes directly if there were a reason to do so.

For BeOS there once was a pthreads library project. Maybe the same could work for Win32, implement the pthreads API and map to corresponding Win32 API functions? Then QEMU could use pthreads API and use wrappers only where strictly necessary. In theory this sounds less invasive.

Andreas