qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Linux framebuffer emulation in qemu linux-user

From: Ilyes Gouta
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Linux framebuffer emulation in qemu linux-user
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2010 22:07:38 +0100

Hi,

> No, but it could be possible to convert the DirectFB ioctl structures
> between guest and host. Other ioctls are translated this way. I guess
> nobody has cared about framebuffer support yet.

DirectFB (on the sh4 side) is just a client which is interacting with the framebuffer. It doesn't have its "own" set of ioctls.

Is handling FBIOGET_FSCREENINFO, FBIOGET_VSCREENINFO and FBIOPUT_VSCREENINFO enough to abstract a basic Linux framebuffer and emulate it (by not forwarding these to a native framebuffer)?

-Ilyes

On Thu, Sep 9, 2010 at 9:57 PM, Blue Swirl <address@hidden> wrote:
On Thu, Sep 9, 2010 at 8:39 PM, Ilyes Gouta <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi,
> Well, actually I'd like to run sh4 binaries in linux-user mode, where these
> are actually DirectFB applications which rely on the standard Linux
> framebuffer to display things.
> In my use case, I'd like to route these ioctl in qemu to be handled by the
> SDL back-end (or even a DirectFB instance running on the host) instead of
> being dispatched to the native framebuffer driver, running on the host.
> Is this feature available in the current qemu code base?

No, but it could be possible to convert the DirectFB ioctl structures
between guest and host. Other ioctls are translated this way. I guess
nobody has cared about framebuffer support yet.

See linux-user/ioctls.h.