qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] problem running Windows XP on kvm

From: Michal Suchanek
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] problem running Windows XP on kvm
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2010 21:01:11 +0200

On 16 September 2010 19:54, Michal Suchanek <address@hidden> wrote:
> On 16 September 2010 16:46, Avi Kivity <address@hidden> wrote:

>>> I built a MassStorage section for sysprep.
>>>
>>> Please see
>>>
>>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/qemu/+bug/639651/comments/2
>>>

>> Can you bisect this file to see which line triggers the error?
>>

> hmm, in order to make the image usable I registered the drivers in
> C:\drivers to devicepath which seems to be the root of the issue.
>
> The storage drivers specified in the MassStorage section are installed
> into Windows but unused since the PIIX controller is handled by the
> generic PCI IDE Microsoft driver.
>
> I hacked all the vendor drivers out of windows and undegistered the
> additional drivers. Windows would then boot repeatedly without issues,
> it would only lack drivers for some devices.
>
> Re-registering the drivers and uninstalling the "ACPI-compatible
> multiprocessor system" device broke the image again after second
> reboot.
>
> The drivers that were installed into Windows are:
>
> e1000 (e1000325 ver 04/27/2006 8.7.1.0) - would not suspect this one
> as the issue happens even without a NIC
> Synaptics Touchpad (SynPD v 08/27/2009 14.0.3.0) - this is odd, the
> Synaptics driver should be picky and install only on actual Synaptics
> device.

Indeed, the synaptics driver is not installed in VirtualBox and on
real hardware but is installed in KVM and installing it causes the
issue.

I am not sure if this is a failure in the driver to recognize
compatible devices or if the PS/2 device in KVM has incorrect
identification. I never quite understood how it is posible to tell
aprat different PS/2 devices from the system's side.

Thanks

Michal