qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Win2k host problem with {get,free}{addr,name}info()

From: Anthony Liguori
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Win2k host problem with {get,free}{addr,name}info()
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2010 15:21:41 -0500

On 09/20/2010 03:03 PM, Blue Swirl wrote:
On Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 6:41 PM, Blue Swirl<address@hidden>  wrote:
On Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 6:26 PM, Anthony Liguori<address@hidden>  wrote:
On 09/19/2010 11:16 AM, Blue Swirl wrote:
On Wed, Sep 15, 2010 at 7:25 PM, Anthony Liguori<address@hidden>
  wrote:

On 09/15/2010 02:11 PM, Blue Swirl wrote:

Hi,

I tried to test QEMU on Win2k, but there are run time errors because
of missing {get,free}{addr,name}info() functions. After adding dummy
defines in place, there are no more errors.

I found a similar case, where a compatibility patch was proposed:
http://trac.filezilla-project.org/ticket/1532

The patch is a bit heavy, consisting of run time detection of Win2k
and full replacements for the functions. Are there any alternative
solutions? I'm by no means a Windows expert.

Win2k is EOL so I don't think it's useful for us to support it as a host.
  So any type of patch is just going to add additional complexity for very
little real gain.

I made a compatibility patch based on the FileZilla patch. The impact
is very low, outside of the new files added, only Makefiles are
changed.

Does gnulib have a similar replacement function?
Very similar, in fact that must be the source.

The nice thing about gnulib is that in the long term, we could potentially
use gnulib for compatibility and make sure to get updated code.
One problem is that the current versions use GPLv3.
Sorry, I made too hasty conclusions based on a few files.
getaddrinfo.c and inet_ntop.c are both GPLv2+.

Perfect, that works out very well then.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori