qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Re: Win2k host problem with {get, free}{addr, name}info()

From: Paolo Bonzini
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Re: Win2k host problem with {get, free}{addr, name}info()
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2010 15:40:05 +0200

On 09/21/2010 08:32 PM, Blue Swirl wrote:
Sort of, gnulib needs some configuration before use. I made some hacks
to avoid that and also suppressed warnings by overriding QEMU_CFLAGS,
but it's getting ugly.

Actually, there's no 'configure' in gnulib HEAD even though
docs/INSTALL mentions that. Strange.

gnulib's docs/INSTALL is a template for packages using autotools, it's not for gnulib itself.

Is it possible to apply local patches to a submodule tree?

It is not needed; to explain this, you need to go one step back.

gnulib's submodule is never built directly. It only lives in the build tree so that it can be consulted by gnulib-tool, but it doesn't even make it to the release tarballs. Instead, gnulib-tool should be invoked after checking out superproject.git, and copies selected gnulib files into superproject's checkout (these files are .gitignore'd).

Now, gnulib-tool also take care of applying patches to the files it copies, so the correct question is "is it possible to apply local patches to gnulib files" and the answer is "yes".

That said, as much as I am a fan of autotools, I think using gnulib within qemu would be a big mess.

Paolo