qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] eepro100 multicast

From: Dunc
Subject: [Qemu-devel] eepro100 multicast
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2010 20:11:14 +0100

Hi all,

I've been trying to set up some olives running inside qemu to practice
for Juniper exam. I came across the multicast issue when enabling VRRP

After lots of googling and reading forums, where people have being doing
hacky patches, I found a page that suggests this has been fixed now,
just not in a formal release

(here for reference)
http://www.internetworkpro.org/wiki/Using_QEMU_with_Olive_to_emulate_Juniper_Routers#Getting_and_Installing_QEMU

I had a look through gitweb and can see there has indeed been a commit
to fix multicast in eepro100 and so I've built a qemu based on latest
git (as of yesterday). Unfortunately it doesn't seem to fix things for
me, however I do have a different error now....

eepro100: feature is missing in this emulation: Multiple IA bit

The setup of this link is quite simple, I have 2 qemus running using tap
mode for network, and I have bridged them together on my host (Linux)
When I configure the network I can successfully ping across the link
with no problems, but as soon as I enable VRRP on either end, I start to
get the above error at regular intervals (I assume it's each time VRRP
sends a multicast hello), and also my link stops pinging altogether.
When I remove VRRP config, the link pings again.

Does anyone know what's going on, or if I'm doing anything wrong?

Thanks in advance,

Dunc