qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Tracing memory accesses via gdbstub and SPARC64

From: Mark Cave-Ayland
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Tracing memory accesses via gdbstub and SPARC64
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2010 17:15:33 +0100

Hi all,

What is the best way of being able track accesses to a specific location via gdbstub? I'm trying to investigate a potential memory-clobbering bug in OpenBIOS on SPARC64 but using "watch" on a variable via gdbstub causes gdb to segfault, e.g.:

address@hidden:~/src/openbios/openbios-devel$ sparc64-linux-gdb
GNU gdb 6.8
and "show warranty" for details.
This GDB was configured as "--host=x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu --target=sparc64-linux".
(gdb) file obj-sparc64/openbios-builtin.elf.nostrip
Reading symbols from /home/build/src/openbios/openbios-devel/obj-sparc64/openbios-builtin.elf.nostrip...done.
(gdb) watch foo
Watchpoint 1: foo
(gdb) target remote :1234
Remote debugging using :1234
[New Thread 1]
0x000001fff0000020 in ?? ()
(gdb) cont
Continuing.
Segmentation fault

Basically I'm looking for a way of causing gdb to break when a particular memory location is written so I can execute a backtrace and figure out the culprit. I'd be quite happy to hardcode an address to force a break in gdb somewhere within the qemu source as workaround if someone could point me in the right direction?

Many thanks,

Mark.

PostgreSQL - PostGIS
http://www.siriusit.co.uk