qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] qemu_cond_signal() taking a long time to complete.

From: Venkateswararao Jujjuri (JV)
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] qemu_cond_signal() taking a long time to complete.
Date: Mon, 04 Oct 2010 20:58:31 -0700

On 10/4/2010 8:49 AM, Stefan Hajnoczi wrote:
On Mon, Oct 4, 2010 at 4:37 PM, Anthony Liguori<address@hidden>  wrote:
On 10/04/2010 05:40 AM, Arun R Bharadwaj wrote:

Hi,

I am working on introducing threading model into Qemu. This introduces
the Threadlets infrastructure which allows subsystems to offload possibly
blocking work to a queue to be processed by a pool of threads
asynchrnonously.
Threadlets are useful when there are operations that can be performed
outside the context of the VCPU/IO threads inorder to free these latter
to service any other guest requests. As of now we have converted a few
v9fs calls like v9fs_read, v9fs_write etc to this model to test the
working nature of this model.

I observed that performance is degrading in the threading model for the
following reason:

Taking the example of v9fs_read call: We submit the blocking work in
v9fs_read to a queue and do a qemu_cond_signal(). the work will be picked
up by a worker thread which is waiting on the condition variable to go
true. I measured the time taken to execute the v9fs_read call; in the
case without the threading model, it takes around 15microseconds to
complete, while in the threading model, it takes around 30microsends
to complete. Most of this extra time (around 22microsends) is spent in
completing the qemu_cond_signal() call. I suspect this is the reason why
I am seeing performance hit with the threading model, because this
time is much more than the time needed to complete the entire
v9fs_read call in the non threading model case.

I need advice on how to proceed from this situation. Pasting relevant
code snippets below.

thanks
arun.
---

/* Code to sumbit work to the queue */
void submit_threadlet_to_queue(ThreadletQueue *queue, ThreadletWork
*work)
{
     qemu_mutex_lock(&(queue->lock));
     if (queue->idle_threads == 0&&    queue->cur_threads<
queue->max_threads) {
         spawn_threadlet(queue);
     }
     QTAILQ_INSERT_TAIL(&(queue->request_list), work, node);
     qemu_cond_signal(&(queue->cond));
     qemu_mutex_unlock(&(queue->lock));
}

Try moving qemu_cond_signal past qemu_mutex_unlock().

There are race conditions here:

1. When a new threadlet is started because there are no idle threads,
qemu_cond_signal() may fire a blank because the threadlet isn't inside
qemu_cond_timedwait() yet.  The result, the work item is deadlocked
until another thread grabs more work off the queue.  If I'm reading

Since it is timedwait, it is either the time expiry or more work is added to the queue.

- JV

the code correctly this bug is currently present!
2. Moving qemu_cond_signal() outside queue->lock is dangerous for the
same reason: you need to be careful not to qemu_cond_signal() when the
thread isn't inside qemu_cond_timedwait().

Stefan

Stefan