qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [patch uq/master 0/8] port qemu-kvm's MCE support

From: Chris Wright
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [patch uq/master 0/8] port qemu-kvm's MCE support
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2010 11:58:13 -0700

* Andreas Färber (address@hidden) wrote:
> Am 04.10.2010 um 20:54 schrieb Marcelo Tosatti:
>
> I assume something went wrong with your cover letter here. It
> would've been nice to see MCE spelled out or summarized for those of
> us that don't speak x86.

It would help.  The acronym is Machine Check Exception.  The patchset
should allow (on newer Intel x86 hw with a newer linux kernel) a class of
memory errors delivered to the host OS as MCEs to be propagated to the
guest OS.  Without the patchset, the qemu process assoicated with the
memory where the error took place would be killed.  With the patchset,
qemu can propagate the error into the guest and allow the guest to kill
only the process within the guest that is assocated with the memory error.