qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] request information on qemu console functionality

From: Stefan Weil
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] request information on qemu console functionality
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2010 21:27:27 +0200

Am 13.10.2010 21:07, schrieb Gabi Voiculescu:
Hi.

I am using a version of qemu from qemu-meego, git://gitorious.org/qemu-maemo/qemu.git, compiled under ubuntu 9.04.

The questions I want to ask is however more general and I think apply to all version of qemu.

Question 1
-----------
When qemu is built with SDL support, does it have a fully functional console/terminal in the Ctrl-Alt-1 window? Or is that just an LCD/VGA/display emulation (meaning it does not accept keyboard inputs)?

Question 2
-----------
The second question is if QEMU emulates a single serial console by design or if this only limited by the platform emulation.

Thank you,
Gabi Voiculescu

Hi,

Answer 1:
The Ctrl-Alt-1 window displays LCD/VGA output.
For the PC, Mips and Powerpc emulations, it also
accepts keyboard input (for others, it should, but
I did not test this). It depends on qemu for maemo
and on the guest operating system whether
keyboard input will work in your special case.

Answer 2:
The default number of serial consoles is usually
one, but there are also emulated machines with
more than one serial console in their default setup.
Most machines accept two serial consoles.
There was a problem with interrupt conflicts which
did not allow two consoles on arm based machines,
but this is solved now. More than two serial consoles
are possible, too, but that increases the chance of
resource conflicts.

Regards,
Stefan Weil