qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] kqemu with "full" -kernel-kqemu and windows XP guest

From: John Lumby
Subject: [Qemu-devel] kqemu with "full" -kernel-kqemu and windows XP guest
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2010 21:09:53 -0400

There have been a few posts over the years on problems with Win XP BSOD during boot when trying to run the windows using the "old" kqemu accelerator with the  -kernel-kqemu option (accelerate guest kernel mode as well as guest user mode).    This issue is probably nearly dead by now,   but for anyone who may still be using this,  e.g. on machines without the VT-X or AMD-V hardware,   FYI I have a developed a fairly small and (relative to kqemu itself) simple workaround for this problem,  that allows you to get some benefit from  -kernel-kqemu without resorting to other tricks such as disabling ACPI in the guest device manager.     The workaround is to defer use of guest kernel mode acceleration until after the WinXP guest has completed the tricky part of booting  (dynamic guest RAM allocation).    Then,  in effect,   -kernel-kqemu is turned on and full acceleration is available.

So booting is dismally slow as before but after that it runs quite well.

Works for me for 32-bit WinXP guest and 32-bit linux and the following qemu releases:
            qemu-0.11.1 kqemu-1.4.0pre1

I don't know about 64-bit, W7 or Vista as I have never tried them,  but the same idea may work.

If you would like it,  you can send an email to my hotmail dot com id which is ....

....  Johnlumby.

 (Anyone know if there is an upload area for contributors?  If so I'll put it there  -  the two patch files are small)