qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: backdoor

From: Anthony Liguori
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: backdoor
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2010 16:20:46 -0500

On 10/25/2010 08:37 AM, Lluís wrote:
Paolo Bonzini writes:

On 10/25/2010 12:54 PM, Lluís wrote:
* Backdoor channels need to provide arguments.
* It's better to provide the same mechanism for both *-user and softmmu
(otherwise the application to simulate or the interposed librariy
should be compiled differently on every case).
You can add the syscall and, if it returns with ENOSYS, fall back to MMIO/PIO
(you don't really need a special driver, only some chmod since BARs are
accessible from /sys) or watchpoint/breakpoint.
That sounds nice, but would only work with Linux. I, for example, did
some full-system simulations with a QNX guest.

I know extending the ISA is not nice at all, but I think that's much
more maintainable than a per-guest OS interface (supposing some will
need extra guest drivers).

On x86, there are some architecturally nicer ways to do this.

For instance, a CPUID leaf could be used in the 0x40001xxx range.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori