qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] About QEMU debugging console

From: Zhiyuan Shao
Subject: [Qemu-devel] About QEMU debugging console
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2010 20:22:34 +0800

Hi team,

I am a Qemu User, and using Qemu 0.13.0 to debugging the linux kernel
code (Qemu+GDB).

During the usage, I found the Qemu debugging console (i.e., entered by
pressing Ctl+Alt+2 in Qemu SDL window or by passing "-monitor stdio" to
Qemu in the command line) is rather difficult to use. It can not show
some important information, e.g., on i386 platform, which is my major
interest, it can not show IDT, GDT information. Regarding the page
mapping information, "info tlb" actually do a really bad job.

On this side, I think Bochs is good. Unfortunately, it seems do not
support gdb-stub debugging and general purpose debugging at the same
time.

I do not know if the Qemu team had made any plans to improve this? such
as embedding the bochs debugging alike functionalities in future Qemu
releases?

Thanks!
Zhiyuan