qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Which qemu ports actually work?

From: Alexander Graf
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Which qemu ports actually work?
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2010 12:25:04 -0700

On 26.10.2010, at 12:02, Torbjorn Granlund <address@hidden> wrote:

> Alexander Graf <address@hidden> writes:
>
>  Where exactly do the Linux kernels hang here? For BSD, I don't
>  know. If there are patches flowing in to fix BSD support, I'll gladly
>  review and take them, but I won't proactively try to get it running.
>
> Is this how most qemu hackers feel, in effect that qemu is a hardware
> emulator for the kernel linux?  To me, that seem like aiming low, and also
> a strategy resulting in a less robust program.  (I maintain a couple of
> free software packages, and I certainly run as many tests as possible to
> make them robust.)

No, it's a matter of time. If you could make the day have 40 hours, I'll gladly
look into BSD :). Keep in mind that qemu is open source, written mostly by
volunteers.

> (1) For ppc32, gentoo hans quickly, the last line is this:
>
>    Memory: 247644k/262144k avalable (5652k kernel code, 14500l reserved, 212k
> data, 137k  bss, 260k ini
>
>    This last line is long, it is truncated to the right.

Hrm. Please send me the vmlinux.gz file in a private mail.

> (2) For ppc64, the last lines are:
>
>    Calling quiesce ...
>    returning from prom_init
>
>    This happens is almost immediately, within a second.
>
>    (Debian and Gentoo hangs at the same positions.)

This probably means that the bootloader chose to boot a ppc32 kernel on ppc64.
Please try booting vmlinux and initrd directly using -kernel and -initrd.

> (3) The sparc64 crash for Debian happens much later.  The last lines are:
>
>    /bin/sh: relocation error: /bin/sh: symbol eaitpid, version GLIBC_2.0 not
> defined in file libc.so.6 with link time reference
>    [   48.xxxxxx] Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init!
>    [   48.xxxxxx] Press Stop-A (L1-A) to return to the boot prom

I don't know much about the status of sparc64, sorry.

> I am not sure gentoo should be expected to work, at least not the 64-bit
> kernel.  It claims to be "G5" whatever that means (G5 is Apple's name for
> the IBM ppc970 processor, not a particular computer architecture, so I am
> not sure what gentoo means).

Qemu emulates a mac, so it should be fine.

>  Well, the good news on this part is that the qemu web page is a wiki! So
>  if there's no status in there at all, feel free to add your experience.
>  Natalia also has a page trying to list compatibility.
>
> Do you have a pointer to that page of this Natalia?

I'm typing from a phone right now. Google should know. Just search for qemu os
list or so.

> BTW, this is the qemu version I am trying:
>
> king$ qemu --version
> QEMU emulator version 0.13.0, Copyright (c) 2003-2008 Fabrice Bellard

Please make sure to also try the latest git version. I doubt it helps on the
ppc side, but sparc might benefit from it.

Alex