qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Which qemu ports actually work?

From: Torbjorn Granlund
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Which qemu ports actually work?
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2010 00:39:12 +0200

Blue Swirl <address@hidden> writes:

  On Wed, Oct 27, 2010 at 8:39 AM, Torbjorn Granlund <address@hidden> wrote:
  >  > "install64", which comes a bit longer.  It fails in a new way: it
  >  > ignores keyboard input, This happens after the kernel has booted, and
  >  > the installer has started.
  >
  >  Yes, ignoring keyboard input sounds right. The issue here is that
  >  we're basically emulating a PPC32 machine, but plug in a PPC64
  >  CPU. This works mostly, but for ADB it breaks, as the guest kernel
  >  doesn't have support for our ADB controller. Unfortunately, keyboard
  >  and mouse are attached using ADB.
  >
  >  One way to get around this is to use -usb -usbdevice keyboard.
  >
  > That makes no difference.  I suppose it is still using the adb keyboard.

  I got to livecd prompt, with working keyboard using the following command
line:
  qemu-system-ppc64 -boot d -cdrom install-powerpc-minimal-2008.0.iso
  -cpu 970fx -M mac99 -usb -usbdevice keyboard

  At boot prompt, I just hit enter to select a G5 kernel.

Wow, it indeed works!  Later Gentoo releases fail in a way similar to
Debian (an early hang).  Did you fight your way through the contorted
Gentoo install in order to see if you get a bootable system?  (I'll try
that when I have time.)

The default nic cannot be used, -net nic,model=e1000 is needed.

I started a page that intends to save others from the trouble I have.
It is at <http://gmplib.org/~tege/qemu.html>.  I'll try and collect
enough info for getting started, or save others from wasting time on
things that do not work.

address@hidden might block this message.  It lastly tried to
pseudo-mail back using an incorrect address, then reject my messages
with a 550 code.  Some anti-spam mechanism gone bad.]

--
Torbjörn