qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] tracing: consistent usage of "disable" in "trace-

From: Daniel P. Berrange
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] tracing: consistent usage of "disable" in "trace-events"
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2010 15:25:56 +0000

On Mon, Nov 08, 2010 at 03:42:15PM +0100, Lluís wrote:
> On the current implementation, the "disable" keyword in "trace-events"
> has different semantics, depending on the backend:
>
> * nop    : ignored (not a problem)
> * simple : enables tracing, but sets dynamic state to disable
> * ust    : disables tracing (uses nop backend)
> * dtrace : same as simple
>
> Would it be possible to just use nop whenever the event is disabled in
> trace-events? If you agree I can cook the patch, as it's pretty simple.

I don't particularly see the point of the 'disable' keyword existing at
all, unless there are performance implications for a particular trace
backend. For the DTrace backend I strip & ignore the disable keyword
because probes that are compiled in, reduce to a inline conditional
check that has no serious overhead when no trace client is active.

Regards,
Daniel
--
|: Red Hat, Engineering, London    -o-   http://people.redhat.com/berrange/ :|