qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Bug report about x86 'bt' insn

From: Torbjorn Granlund
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Bug report about x86 'bt' insn
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2010 15:15:43 +0100

malc <address@hidden> writes:

  And this one was March 2009 (conveniently having the same file name
  253666), the September 2010 issue reads differently:

  Flags Affected
  The CF flag contains the value of the selected bit. The ZF flag is
  unaffected. The OF, SF, AF, and PF flags are undefined.

Have the qemu developers come to any decision on this one?

I haven't tested many 32-bit x86 implementations, but I think I have
tested all 64-bit x86 implementations, and they all seem to leave ZF
unaffected.  (Clearly, it is possible that they do write it for some
values of the operands; there are too many possible values to test.)

I actually think qemu for both x86-32 and x86-64 should be changed to
make the bt insn not affect ZF.  Considering that Intel have changed
their manuals (I have confirmed this) to say that ZF is unaffected,
there are even stronger reasons to change qemu.  Even without that
documentation change, I would argue that compatibility with all defacto
hardware is important.

(I am not trying to say that my bug report was correct.  It wasn't.  I
have fixed the GMP code.)

--
Torbjörn