qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Re: Hitting 29 NIC limit

From: Isaku Yamahata
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Re: Hitting 29 NIC limit
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2010 12:09:18 +0900

Right now, qemu is internally ready to handle pci-to-pci bridge emulators
and it's quite easy to add a new simple p2p bridge emulator.
Just a single function to initialize vid/did and a single PCIDevinceInfo.

But it's difficult to use multi pci buses at the moment
because other part isn't ready. It's only for developers
who are interested in this area.

BTW, how many pci buses/slots/functions do you want at most?

What we have in the upstream repository is
- various fixes for p2p bridge support
- the library for p2p bridge support
- pcie root/upstream/downstream port emulators which is p2p bridges
  ioh3420/xio3130_upstream/xio3130_downstream

What is missing for multiple pci buses is
- a new PC machine description which has multiple pci buses
  My Q35 chipset patch will provide this.
- a simple P2P bridge emulator for pc architecture
- seabios support
  - DSDT for a new machine which has multi pci buses(IRQ routing)
  - pv pci bus numbering
    this isn't a must, I suppose
  I have those patches locally.

thanks,