qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] RFC: usb redirection over the network, interesting outs

From: François Revol
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] RFC: usb redirection over the network, interesting outside of spice?
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2010 15:33:43 +0100

> Hi All,
>
> Now that I have usb-1.1 passthrough  / local redirection support
> working reliably (see my patch sets for this), I'm going to start
> working on doing usb redirection support over the network.
>
> The idea here is that a usb device connected to machine a, will be
> available for use by the guest os running on host b (machine b).
>
> I'm working on this because it is something which we want / need
> for spice. I'm wondering if there is interest in this outside
> of spice ?

Not me at the moment, but unless you tunnel it inside another protocol, you'd
really want to look at the existing USB-over-IP protocols instead of
reinventing the wheel:
http://usbip.sourceforge.net/ (some support in Linux already IIRC)
(and there are others which I don't recall)

> I'm asking because at this moment in time the redirection support
> can probably be written in a way which abstracts the transport channel
> quite easily, allowing use outside of spice.

Yeah it'd be nice to avoid code duplication.

Does RDP have such feature ?
I'd think it should be possible to add this to VNC somehow, since it has
provisions for extensions.

François.