qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] QEMU 0.14.0 release plan

From: Alexander Graf
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] QEMU 0.14.0 release plan
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2010 20:58:33 +0100

On 29.11.2010, at 20:29, Anthony Liguori wrote:

> On 11/29/2010 12:10 PM, Alexander Graf wrote:
>> On 29.11.2010, at 18:42, Anthony Liguori wrote:
>>

>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> 0.13 was a mess of a release (largely due to my lack of time) and I'd like
>>> to get us back onto a predictable schedule.
>>>
>>> Here's what I propose:
>>>
>>> 12/6 - fork off stable-0.14 tree; simultaneously release qemu-0.14.0-rc0
>>>
>>> For the stable-0.14 tree, I'd like to have Justin be in charge of
>>> collecting patches.  For stable-0.14 submissions, patches (or pull
>>> requests) specifically marked as [STABLE 0.14] should be sent to the
>>> mailing list that are tested against that tree.  Sending a patch to against
>>> master with a comment saying "this should probably go to stable too" is not
>>> enough.
>>>
>>> 12/10 - release qemu-0.14.0-rc1
>>>
>>> 12/15 - release qemu-0.14.0-rc2; this should be the final release candidate
>>> with no changes make for GA other than a version bump
>>>
>>> 12/17 - release qemu-0.14.0
>>>
>>> Post qemu-0.14.0, Justin will handle the stable tree and subsequent stable
>>> releases.
>>>
>>> The rules for stable will continue to be what they are now.  Only bug fixes
>>> that are patches committed in master are candidates for stable (except in
>>> rare circumstances where that is not viable).
>>>
>>> I think we should also try to implement an Ack process for stable.  For
>>> instance, I think it would make sense for Justin to send out stable patch
>>> candidates regularly and require 3 community Acked-by's for the patch to go
>>> into stable.  I'm not sure if this is too much process but by the same
>>> token, as long as we full the above rule, this should be a trivial step for
>>> folks to follow.
>>>
>> 3 is quite a lot.
>>

> Is 2 just right?

I was thinking of a more sophisticated model. Maybe 1 maintainer + 1 user? Or 1
person who knows his way around the area + 1 more?

>>> Thoughts?
>>>
>> Please set up a mailing list we can just CC for stable candidates, so they
>> don't get lost. Motivation for keeping track of stable stuff differs between
>> developers and it's essential to make the kick-off easily accessible. It's
>> worked out very well for Linux, so why not for us?
>>

> Is the desire to filter mail or have private discussions that are not on
> qemu-devel?
>
> If it's the former, a [STABLE] tag in the subject would work just as well.
> If it's the later, I think it runs contrary to the goal of getting more
> people involved in stable.

The desire is to have an easy to set tag. [STABLE] to me indicates that the
patch is specifically made for stable. CC to stable@ tells me that the patch
should go into stable as soon as it's submitted upstream and if it doesn't
apply cleanly, the stable maintainer nags the author about a backport.

Alex