qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] QEMU 0.14.0 release plan

From: Anthony Liguori
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] QEMU 0.14.0 release plan
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2010 08:12:50 -0600

On 11/30/2010 04:15 AM, Kevin Wolf wrote:
Am 29.11.2010 18:42, schrieb Anthony Liguori:
0.13 was a mess of a release (largely due to my lack of time) and I'd
like to get us back onto a predictable schedule.
Telling people six days in advance when the fork will be is hardly
predictable. :-)

Yeah, I've been mentioning the desire to do 0.14 by EOY so hopefully it wasn't a huge surprise but it's certainly a valid statement.

For example, in the block area there are currently a lot of interesting
patches on the list (AHCI, SCSI, block-queue, QED, Ceph) and there's no
way to integrate them in time if we don't want to blindly apply patches
and then see what breaks.

What to do with them? The options I see are:

1. Move them all to 0.15 (when will it be?)

Every 6 months so it would be June 2011.

2. Apply everything now, have a broken rc0 and hope to fix everything
    in the short time until rc2
3. Fork 0.14 shortly before Christmas and move the release to January

The usual approach for dealing with feature freeze deadlines seems to be
option 2, though I don't really like that one...

Yeah, obviously not the right thing to do.

Even though it sucks, I'd really like to do 0.14 before the year ends.

For 0.15 I suggest that the fork date should be announced at least a
month in advance and that we have a longer RC phase.

By having a short -rc cycle, I'm trying to avoid the last minute push to include a lot of functionality into a release which usually ends up in things getting included before they're ready.

A short -rc cycle means that we get a .0 release that's a bit better than a git snapshot but ultimately is really just a point-in-time release verses a feature driven release.

We can certainly try a one month -rc cycle for 0.15. With Justin helping, it might be much more useful than in the past.

We could push the final 0.14.0 release to 12/30 and I can make sure to be around to handle -rcs. I suspect that the extra couple weeks over the holidays won't matter all that much but it gives everyone a bit more time before the tree freezes. That would put us around 12/17 for stable-0.14 fork.

I think we should also try to implement an Ack process for stable.  For
instance, I think it would make sense for Justin to send out stable
patch candidates regularly and require 3 community Acked-by's for the
patch to go into stable.  I'm not sure if this is too much process but
by the same token, as long as we full the above rule, this should be a
trivial step for folks to follow.
I think three Acks might be a bit too much, but requiring one or two
Acks probably makes sense. Though I think we need to consider that there
are areas where it would be easy to get five Acks, and other areas where
it's going to be hard enough to get at least one.

Certainly true.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori

Kevin