qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Re: Block device resize detection

From: Alexander Graf
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Re: Block device resize detection
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2010 12:29:38 +0100

Hi Vandeir,

On 06.12.2010, at 11:49, Vandeir Eduardo wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> I have a KVM guest machine, lets name it VMTEST,
> using an iSCSI LUN as a virtio device. Something like this:
>
> <disk type='block' device='disk'>
>   <driver name='qemu' type='raw' cache='none'/>
>   <source
> dev='/dev/disk/by-path/ip-w.x.y.z:3260-iscsi-iqn.2010-10.br.furb.inf:disk0-lun-4'/>
>      <target dev='vda' bus='virtio'/>
> </disk>
>
> On iSCSI server, if I resize this LUN, this resize is detected
> on KVM host, but not on the VMTEST. The device resize is only
> detected if I restart VMTEST. Is there a way to make VMTEST detect
> the /dev/vda resize without restarting it?
>
> On VMTEST I already tried commands like partprobe /dev/vda,
> hdparm -z /dev/vda and blockdev --rereadpt /dev/vda, but none of
> was capable to detect the block device (/dev/vda) resize.

The probing of an image is only done at initialization time of the block
backend driver, which in your case is the bootup. The only chance you have of
reevaluating it would be to hot-add another virtio device with the resized
image.

Alternatively, you could also try to write a patch for reevaluation plumbing,
so that the hba emulation layer can trigger reevaluation in the disk layer.

Alex