qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Displaying serial terminals on qemu

From: Serge E. Hallyn
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Displaying serial terminals on qemu
Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2010 00:59:52 +0000

Quoting Stevens, Weston (address@hidden):
> I run Ubuntu 10.04 LTS and have qemu 0.12.3. For a class project, we are
> building our own pseudo-linux operating system, so we have our own kernel AND
> user processes that we built, and we run this OS from a virtual floppy disk.
> So we don't borrow anything from the Ubuntu host OS like the login, init, sh,
> etc process images, just the ones we wrote ourselves that exist on the
> floppy's file system.
>
> I'd like to configure qemu to not just display tty0, but ALSO display virtual
> serial terminals ttyS0 and ttyS1. Then I will run an instance of the login
> process that I wrote on each of them and go from there. Help appreciated!

IIUC you'll want to use the -serial option.  I.e.

        kvm -serial stdio ... image.img

Will give you ttyS0 in the terminal from which you called kvm.  Or, you can
do

        kvm -serial tcp:localhost:2222,server ... image.img

and then

        telnet localhost 2222

from another terminal, to get serial port redirected through telnet.

-serge