qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Re: [SeaBIOS] seabios: acpi: add _RMV control method for PC

From: Avi Kivity
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Re: [SeaBIOS] seabios: acpi: add _RMV control method for PCI devices
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2010 11:10:38 +0200

On 12/13/2010 11:03 AM, Gleb Natapov wrote:
>  We could also deprecate the old port and use fwcfg for everything
>  (try fwcfg, fall back to ae00).

fwcfg designed to be simple for easy use by firmware. It has two port
one for index another for value, so its use is racy in multi-threaded SMP
environment. DSDT code is executed in such environment. There is lock
facility in AML, but why complicate things.

I prefer to remove complexity from interfaces and have it in the implementation instead.

>  >>   We could do this in two ways: by adding a fwcfg client to the DSDT,
>  >>   or by copying the information to system memory, and referencing
>  >>   system memory from the DSDT.
>  >>
>  >This is even worse. It requires some fixed address to be shared between
>  >DSDT and Seabios (or alternatively Seabios will have to generate this
>  >part of DSDT dynamically).
>  >

>  Could easily be something in the F segment.

Yes, but then we will have two magic values (fwcfg index + address
in F segment) instead of one (address of pci hot-plug controller).

The F segment address is internal to SeaBIOS; it isn't an external interface.