qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] checking the number of target cpu cycles or instruction

From: Stefano Bonifazi
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] checking the number of target cpu cycles or instructions executed
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2010 22:18:41 +0100

On 12/23/2010 06:42 PM, Andreas Färber wrote:
Hi,

Am 22.12.2010 um 13:19 schrieb Stefano Bonifazi:

how can I check the number of target cpu cycles or target instructions executed inside qemu-user (i.e. qemu-ppc)?
Is there any variable I can inspect for such informations?

QEMU's emulation is not cycle-accurate, so you will not be able to retrieve CPU cycle info to my knowledge.

As for instructions, take a look at the -icount option.

Andreas
Hi!
Thank You very much! I understood it was not a cycle accurate emulator.. In my case I am more interested in how many instructions the target machine would execute rather than how many host cycles or instructions..so I think counted fetched target instructions can be good.. Anyway how to switch on -icount option for user emulation? Setting use_icount to 1 (or2) into exec.c does not work: the execution hangs, and qemu_icount is not incremented..
Thank you!
Best Regards,
Stefano B.