qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Fwd: Most Popular Lifehacker How to Videos of 2010

From: jairo mayorga
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Fwd: Most Popular Lifehacker How to Videos of 2010
Date: Sat, 25 Dec 2010 15:57:05 -0500

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Lifehacker <address@hidden>
Date: 2010/12/24
Subject: Most Popular Lifehacker How to Videos of 2010
To: address@hidden

By Adam Dachis

Most Popular Lifehacker How to Videos of 2010

Most Popular Lifehacker How to Videos of 2010We've worked hard this year to bring you lots of great original video content, covering a range of subjects from building a Hackintosh to slowing down Justin Bieber. Here are the most popular original videos from 2010.

Photo remixed from an original by Matt Katzenberger

How to Downgrade Your iPhone 3G[S] from iOS 4 to iOS 3.1.3

Most Popular Lifehacker How to Videos of 2010
Evidently a lot of you weren't happy with the performance of your previous generation iPhone once you upgrade to iOS 4 as downgrading your iPhone 3G easily won first place as our most popular original how-to video. In fact, it was one of the most popular posts of the year overall. While Apple's made many improvements to iOS 4 to improve performance on older iPhones, if you're still not happy you can use this simple method to downgrade. Be sure to check out the full post for everything you'll need.

How to Build a Hackintosh Mac and Install OS X in Eight Easy Steps

Most Popular Lifehacker How to Videos of 2010
Unsurprisingly, our Hackintosh video was one of the most popular Lifehacker original how-to video of the year. We put more work into this video than any other so it's great to see it near the top of the list. If you want a new Mac but don't want to sink thousands of dollars into it, we'll walk you through the entire process on video. Visiting the post itself will give you the video broken up into each step as well to make it easier to handle this project over time. If you've never built or hacked your own Mac before, it's a lot of fun and a great way to learn the ins and outs of the operating system.

How to Disable Facebook Places

Most Popular Lifehacker How to Videos of 2010
Facebook Places wasn't exactly at the height of popularity when it first came out as several aspects of the new feature caused a privacy scare. Since Facebook's privacy options aren't exactly the easiest to navigate, we thought we'd offer our assistance in helping you disable Facebook Places if you decided it just wasn't for you. While it's been pointed out that the feature technically cannot be disabled, this video points out how to render it essentially useless. If you love Facebook Places, keep enjoying it. If you don't, we've got you covered.

How to Get Started with Usenet in Three Simple Steps

Most Popular Lifehacker How to Videos of 2010
I didn't make a lot of friends by breaking what some call the "first rule of Usenet" (which, like in Fight Club, is "you don't talk about Usenet" — you can read my argument against this in the full post if you're curious). Nonetheless, it wound up being one of our more popular video how-tos. Usenet is a really wonderful way to find and download content online. While the video above explains how to set up your Usenet client, the full post provides instructions on finding a provider and finding content as well. If you're tired of BitTorrent and want something a bit more reliable, you ought to give Usenet a try.

How to Install Android on an iPhone in Six Easy Steps

Most Popular Lifehacker How to Videos of 2010
Although Android hardware has greatly improved over the past year, Apple hardware generally has a lust-worthy quality that few manufacturers can match. For that reason, it isn't a surprise that there's an interest on running a more open operating system like Android on a beautiful device like the iPhone. While there are several drawbacks to running Android on Apple hardware at the moment, it looks promising. If you've got an old iPhone lying around and want to give it a try, watch the video above to learn how.

A Guide to Organizing Your Android Home Screen

Most Popular Lifehacker How to Videos of 2010
Android offers a wealth of organization options so once you have a bunch of apps installed, organization can get a little bit overwhelming. This video demonstrates great organization tips, tricks, and strategies to make navigating your Android more pleasant.

How to Play SNES on Your iPad in Four Easy Steps

Most Popular Lifehacker How to Videos of 2010
As a long-time SNES devotee, I jailbroke my iPad for the sole purpose of playing Super Nintendo games on the go. Being able to use a Bluetooth Wiimote provided the physical buttons needed to make this worthwhile, plus the iPad's large screen didn't hurt either. While this process is very specific to SNES, there are plenty of other emulators available to the jailbreak community. If you jailbreak and install SNES on your iPad, you'll have no problem doing the same for additional emulators. Note: the video demonstrates an outdated jailbreaking process. Make sure you research the correct jailbreaking process for the version of iOS that your device is running.

How to Run Windows, Mac, and Linux Side by Side and Pain-Free with VirtualBox

Most Popular Lifehacker How to Videos of 2010
Triple booting is great, but the need to restart when you frequently want to move between operating systems can be a pain. Instead, using VirtualBox, you can run Windows, Mac, and Linux, side by side, simultaneously. Check out the video above for an overview, and the full post for a step by step guide.

How to Silence Vuvuzela Horns in World Cup Broadcasts

Most Popular Lifehacker How to Videos of 2010
It's been awhile, but remember the vuvuzela craze during the World Cup this year? Yeah, it's hard to get the annoying sounds of those horns out of your head. Fortunately, you can at least get them out of your videos, and—depending on your television—right out of your television. This video demonstrates how to use a few EQ filters to virtually eliminate the vuvuzela from the World Cup broadcasts this year, or any you encounter in the future.

How to Create Your Own Slowed-Down Ambient Epics

Most Popular Lifehacker How to Videos of 2010
Who knew that Justin Bieber sounded so good when slowed down by 800%? What was originally believed to be a hoax turned out to be real: you can truly create some great ambient tracks by slowing down songs by incredible amounts. Want to give it a shot? Check out the video above.

Make and Host Your Own Customized, Personal Landing Page in a Few Minutes

Most Popular Lifehacker How to Videos of 2010
Flavors.me and About.me both over some very cool services, but if you want full control and portability over the personal landing page you create with either tool you just can't have it. We thought it would be great to have an open source, portable alternative that you could host virtually anywhere—so we made one. Check out the video above to see how it works and the full post to see how to implement it.

De-Grease Your Laptop with a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser

Most Popular Lifehacker How to Videos of 2010
One of the most annoying problems connected to laptop ownership is keeping your body oils off of the keyboard and trackpad. While we received several great reader suggestions, one of the best and simplest was using a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser to solve the problem. It worked so well we decided to document the process and show you how it works in this video.

How to Make Your Own Touchscreen Heads Up Display

Most Popular Lifehacker How to Videos of 2010
When the iPad was just a rumor waiting to be hatched, I got impatient and decided I wanted to make a touchscreen tablet of my own. I hackintoshed an old HP Mini 1000 I had lying around, removed the keyboard, and installed a cheap touchscreen overlay. To make it a bit more tablet-like, I wrote some software in Adobe AIR to create a heads up display (HUD). If you want to see how it works, watch the video above. If you want to make one yourself and use/improve upon the software I made, check out the full post.

How to Take Wireless Photos with Your DSLR and iOS Device

Most Popular Lifehacker How to Videos of 2010
Your iPhone can make an excellent remote shutter, live view screen, and photo viewer for your DSLR. Setting it up can be a bit of work, however. This video shows you how to tackle the problem and turn your iOS device into an amazing digital photography tool.

How to Make All Your Video AirPlay-Compatible

Most Popular Lifehacker How to Videos of 2010
As usual, Apple has some pretty strict specifications for the video you can play on their hardware. The release of AirPlay—Apple's new video streaming technology—certainly didn't change this. So, if you want to make all your video AirPlay-compatible, here's how to do it.

That's all for this year! If you want more original Lifehacker video, check out all of it, plus our very first Ask Lifehacker Live for lots of quick original video tips we created in response to your questions.

You can contact Adam Dachis, the author of this post, at address@hidden. You can also follow him on Twitter and Facebook.

Number of comments
  • Share this:
More Stories on Lifehacker »
address@hidden: Change your e-mail address | Unsubscribe
Gawker Media, 210 Elizabeth Street, Floor 4, New York, NY 10012
Terms of use | Mailing List Policy