qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Re: tcg/{ppc, s390, sparc}: branch target and code retransl

From: Aurelien Jarno
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Re: tcg/{ppc, s390, sparc}: branch target and code retranslation
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2011 15:45:25 +0100

On Mon, Jan 10, 2011 at 03:29:28PM +0100, Alexander Graf wrote:

> On 10.01.2011, at 15:23, Aurelien Jarno wrote:

> >> Yeah, I agree. Temporary retranslation really shouldn't modify existing
> >> code. We really do need an icache flush on tb flushes still though as
> >> that's a separate issue? Or are these already in?
> >>

> > We already have an icache flush after the first translation. We don't
> > have any when the TB is flushed, but I don't think it is something
> > necessary. The new TB that will replace it will issue an icache flush
> > after it has been translated.
>
> We don't need the flush after the translation if we just flush the whole
> block on invalidate. That should be a speedup, no? Flushing the full thing
> once is probably faster than lots of small flushes on every TB write.

Maybe flush is not the correct word to described what it is done. What
is done in syncing the icache with the dcache. It's what is done by the
function flush_icache_range() in tcg/arch/tcg-target.h.

If you flush the TB on invalidate, it doesn't ensure that the data just
written are visible from the icache.

> Also, if there's a flush after the translation, I'm even more puzzled how the
> race you describe above can occur.

There is one after the translation, but not one after the retranslation.

--
Aurelien Jarno                          GPG: 1024D/F1BCDB73
address@hidden                 http://www.aurel32.net