qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: KVM call agenda for Jan 11

From: Anthony Liguori
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: KVM call agenda for Jan 11
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2011 08:43:04 -0600

On 01/11/2011 07:41 AM, Juan Quintela wrote:
Kevin Wolf<address@hidden>  wrote:
Am 10.01.2011 14:32, schrieb Juan Quintela:
Juan Quintela<address@hidden>  wrote:
Juan Quintela<address@hidden>  wrote:

Now sent it to the right kvm list.  Sorry for the second sent.

Please send any agenda items you are interested in covering.

- KVM Forum 2011 (Jes).

thanks, Juan.
- migration and block devices: a mess.
   * patches I sent last week: only work for root (for some definition of
     work)
   * qemu is used as non-root user.
   * forcing to have cache=none solves the issue
I need to have a look at the specific problem, but it's hard to imagine
that cache=none fixes anything reliably.
It uses O_DIRECT, that means that we don't have buffering problems.
I state the problem again:

machine A read 1st block of device.
<and stays without doing anything else>
machine B reads writes lots of places including 1st block

now guest from machine A migrates to machine B
machine A re-reads the 1st block, and lo and behold, it reads the old
contents, not the new ones.

Solutions:
- invalidate all buffers for that block device on machine A after
   migration.
    * with NFS, just close + reopen the file (and pray that nobody else
    has it also opened)
    * with block devices: use BLKFLBLK ioctl, and pray that nobody else is
      using the device, that device is not a ramdisk, and some more
      things.  To add injury to insult, you need to be root to be able
      to issue that ioctl (technically have CAP_SYS_ADMIN).

Why isn't fsync() enough for a block device?

Regards,

Anthony Liguori

O_DIRECT fixes this problem altogether, because there is no buffering,
and if there are not buffers, they can't be invalid O:-)

Notice the "pray" part in the other solutions, we are basically trying
to do a "poor man" DLM, and that is not trivial to do. (althougth our
problem is not the general one, the principles are the same).

Later, Juan.