qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Re: [Spice-devel] spicevmv chardev, guest agents and paravi

From: Gerd Hoffmann
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Re: [Spice-devel] spicevmv chardev, guest agents and paravirtual mouse
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2011 11:54:09 +0100

  Hi,

(4) termial forwarding.  Just an idea right now.  Nowdays that the spice
      client side moves to gtk it would be easy to embed a termial widget,
      therby allowing easy access to the serial console using something
      like this:

         -chardev spicevmc,id=console,type=terminal
         -device isa-serial,index=0,chardev=console

I guess this could be used to get more info about the state of a VM from
the host system (like "system is ready", "system is rebooting", etc),
although it needs some adjustments in the guest to use the serial
console and string parsing on the host.

That is really just for a terminal / serial console. Running an guest agent protocol over a serial line instead of virtio-serial would be possible too, but that end would probably better handled by libvirt or some other management tool.

Would it therefore make sense to
have a another type to get such status messages from the guest and have
a list of states defined somewhere? If yes, is this something which
should be implemented in the spice-part or is this general qemu stuff?

It is general qemu stuff and how to design that best is the whole point of this agent discussion ;)

Furthermore it would be nice if the client side could get a list of
display resolutions supported in the guest and having the possibility to
change the resolution when resizing the guest window. The vdagent
protocol already has a message to pass this info but it only sends it
when going into fullscreen mode.

That is just a client implementation thing. The new spice-gtk client can send messages on window resize too. Guest is supposed to pick the closest resolution it can handle.

Yet another use case would be: authentication forwarding/injection to
the guest OS. With smartcard-support you have something like that, but
in our case we have the users authenticate against our management
backend first before they get access to a VM and it would be kind of
nice to be able to inject authentication data into the guest OS, either
via the spice client or coming from the host OS.

Depends on the auth infrastructure whenever this is doable I guess. If you are using x509 certificates the smartcard support should serve just fine. I can also imagine that the guest can aquire kerberos tickets via spice-client or using some other agent for example (don't know kerberos good enougth to be sure though).

cheers,
  Gerd