qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] paravirtual mouse/tablet

From: Gerd Hoffmann
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] paravirtual mouse/tablet
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2011 17:26:58 +0100

  Hi,

I guess a mere tuple of (x,y,down) N times should be enough for the
protocol, no?

Surely, evdev has an interface to support this already. Let's just do
what it does instead of inventing something that none of us can validate
actually works.

http://www.mjmwired.net/kernel/Documentation/input/multi-touch-protocol.txt

Looks like the linux input layer does effectively the same: send series of events for multitouch.

A sync event to mark the end of the batch is obviously a pretty good idea I'm going to steal.

Some devices seem to be able to attach IDs to the touchpoints. Then you don't have to send the whole set each time but can limit yourself to the ones which did actually change. We should support that too.

Or better yet, delay implementing it until someone actually knows how to
support it.

I think we can get sane support into the protocol right from start, and that is much better than adding something afterwards. Just look at the linux input layer document -- some of the loops they have to hop though are there just because multitouch is a extension which came later.

cheers,
  Gerd