qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Fwd: Re: port-sparc/44389: awk failure during m4 instal

From: Blue Swirl
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Fwd: Re: port-sparc/44389: awk failure during m4 installation with pkgsrc
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2011 22:14:14 +0000

On Fri, Jan 14, 2011 at 9:41 PM, Mateusz Loskot <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I emulate SPARC with NetBSD 5.0 installed and I've experienced a problem
> with pkgsrc installing one of packages.
> I submitted bug report to NetBSD team and received short response
> suggesting it is likely QEMU problem (see original message below).
>
> Shortly, the problem is that AWK throws "floating point exception"
> Here is the bug report with details:
>
> http://gnats.netbsd.org/cgi-bin/query-pr-single.pl?number=44389
>
> Given the nature of the problem, it "feels" the issue is unrelated to
> QEMU, but I'm not on position to judge the suggestion posted by NetBSD
> team is pointless.
>
> I have no idea how to isolate the problem on NetBSD, so I replied to
> NetBSD team asking:
> ===
> Could you suggest how to isolate the problem, find exact awk command
> causing the error, so I can debug it or forward to QEMU developers with
> details necessary to reproduce it?
> ===
>
> In the meantime, I thought I will attack qemu-devel hoping it may ring
> some bells here as well.
>
> Any ideas?

It's entirely possible that the floating point support for Sparc can
be buggy, there have been a few fixes to softfloat recently for other
architectures.

I'd check if NaN handling or floating point exception support works
correctly, regular programs don't use those. But a reproducible test
case is essential.