qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] RFC: mass comment conversion from C99 to C89

From: Anthony Liguori
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] RFC: mass comment conversion from C99 to C89
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2011 09:04:48 -0600

On 01/16/2011 06:12 PM, Peter Maydell wrote:
On 15 January 2011 16:02, Blue Swirl<address@hidden>  wrote:
With the sed script below (my first I think), I'm able to convert most
files in QEMU from C99 comment style to C89. When successive line with
C99 comments are converted, the comments are merged. Two files
(hw/rtl8139.c and microblaze-dis.c) still fail.

Is this a good idea?
I'm a bit wary of this kind of wide-scale no-semantic-change commit
(and more so for things like indent, brace and whitespace fixes
which can affect large chunks of actual code), because it makes
it harder to deal with qemu forks (especially if you were hoping to
be able to periodically rebase with an eye to eventually getting
changes back into mainline qemu).

Yeah, I'm equally wary of such changes unless they have a very clear value (e.g. changing an API definition to accommodate an extra parameter).

Regards,

Anthony Liguori

This particular changeset doesn't touch target-arm so
it doesn't affect me personally, though.

-- PMM