qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Emulating powerpc 440EP with qemu-system-ppcemb

From: Rob Landley
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Emulating powerpc 440EP with qemu-system-ppcemb
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2011 13:21:54 -0600

On 01/23/2011 01:01 PM, Dushyant Bansal wrote:
> I am also using
> <http://www.landley.net/aboriginal/downloads/binaries/cross-compiler-powerpc-440fp.tar.bz2>"cross-compiler-powerpc-440fp"
> from the aboriginal project
> (http://www.landley.net/aboriginal/downloads/binaries/) to build the
> kernel image :).

Heh. :)

Note that I don't have any actual ppc440 hardware.  Somebody else once
tested this on real hardware for me and said it worked (their interest
was why i added the platform in the first place), and I haven't changed
the compiler config since then, but I can't prove anything if QEMU won't
cooperate.

> Yes, qemu supports ppc440(bamboo).
>
> $ qemu-system-ppcemb -M ?
> Supported machines are:
> mpc8544ds  mpc8544ds
> bamboo     bamboo
> ref405ep   ref405ep
> taihu      taihu
> mac99      Mac99 based PowerMAC
> g3beige    Heathrow based PowerMAC (default)
> prep       PowerPC PREP platform

Those are board emulations.  Does it have a 440 _cpu_ emulation?

./qemu-system-ppc -cpu ? | grep 440

(Don't ask me why qemu-system-ppc lists every single powerpc stepping
ever as a separate interesting CPU emulation.  Seems kind of crazy to
me, but eh...)

>> What kernel .config are you using for the bamboo kernel?
> I am using arch/powerpc/configs/44x/bamboo_defconfig.

Reasonable.

Note that beating a usable console out of the thing so you can see
output is the second hard step.  (The first hard step is getting
everything set up so that the kernel will actually build and boot on the
hardware.  Without a console, you can't prove it did.)

I prefer serial console to pop-up window because it's scriptable with
"expect" or similar, I can log the output via "tee", and cut and paste
works without further effort.  But if you're just trying to see boot
messages, a SDL frame buffer window (or vnc) is fine.

Rob