qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] git rm Changelog?

From: Anthony Liguori
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] git rm Changelog?
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2011 08:35:56 -0600

On 01/25/2011 03:57 AM, Kevin Wolf wrote:
Am 25.01.2011 00:06, schrieb Paolo Bonzini:
... or at least "git mv Changelog Changelog.old"?

It only goes back to 0.12.0 so that there is hardly a place in the git
repo to look for new features in 0.13 and 0.14.
Or maybe update it?

I find it rather unfriendly to our users to say "Here is a new release.
In the unlikely case that you really want to know what has changed,
please bother yourself to filter the interesting stuff out of these
thousand git commits".

Logistically, I prefer doing highlights in a mail verses having a committed file. A Changelog file needs to be committed prior to tagging a release and cannot be enhanced after the fact. The nice bit about an email is that folks can respond to it with additional details.

A wiki page (similar to what kernel newbies does) would be nice to supplement what's included in the release notes.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori

Kevin