qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Re: Fwd: Proposal: Improving patch tracking and review usin

From: Paolo Bonzini
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Re: Fwd: Proposal: Improving patch tracking and review using Rietveld
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2011 17:26:14 +0100

On 01/27/2011 11:23 AM, Paolo Bonzini wrote:
On 01/27/2011 11:19 AM, Stefan Hajnoczi wrote:
On Thu, Jan 27, 2011 at 08:55:30AM +0100, Paolo Bonzini wrote:
Forwarding this from the GCC mailing list. Since patchwork isn't
more than a mail archive the way it's implemented in QEMU, this may
be a more interesting possibility.

What features are you looking for beyond archiving?

Well, you pretty much nailed it.

It would be nice to have a dashboard of currently unapplied patches
(with old versions of patch series ignored).

and this:

BTW the email integration sounds good and is critical.

:)

The only tricky point is whether email integration includes ignoring
older versions of patch series. I'll ask on address@hidden how/whether
that works.

Here's the outcome of my conversation with the GCC developer who proposed it.

- the tool would require adoption of a special tool for patch submitter. The tool is a self-contained Python script that could be included in the QEMU repository (upload.py).

- reviewers (and submitters discussing the issue) can either reply directly to email, or use the web tool. Diego said that either way can be used, but the web tool is actually pretty addictive. It produces basically the equivalent of the "inline comment" mails we use, and has decent keyboard bindings (that said, creating a comment always requires a double click).

That said, it looks like the integration with git is (still?) a bit too rough to be usable. In particular, you can more or less track a patch series but not the commit messages of each series.

I created two issues in the tracker as examples:
- http://code.google.com/p/rietveld/issues/detail?id=267
- http://code.google.com/p/rietveld/issues/detail?id=268

http://code.google.com/p/rietveld/issues/detail?id=262 is also of interest, even though it refers to Mercurial.

It's possible that if these are fixed, the remaining problems can be worked around by hacking upload.py or wrapping a custom script around it, that would be more similar to git-send-email in appearance and behavior.

Paolo