qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Re: [SeaBIOS] IO APIC emulation failure with qemu-kvm

From: Ravi Kumar Kulkarni
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Re: [SeaBIOS] IO APIC emulation failure with qemu-kvm
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2011 14:03:07 +0530

On Sun, Feb 6, 2011 at 10:50 PM, Avi Kivity <address@hidden> wrote:
> On 02/04/2011 03:58 PM, Jan Kiszka wrote:
>>
>> >   when i run my kernel image with qemu-kvm it gives emulation error
>> > failure
>> >  trying to execute the code outside ROM or RAM at fec00000(IO APIC base
>> > address)
>> >  but the same code runs fine with qemu. can anyone please point me
>> >  where might be the problem or how to find out this one?
>
> Please post the error message.
  Im attachin the error message in kvm.txt file  with  above mail.

>> Start with capturing the activity of you guest via ftrace, enabling all
>> kvm:* events. You may also try to attach gdb to qemu and analyze the
>> different code path in both versions (specifically if you have debugging
>> symbols for your guest).
>
> The easy way to do that is trace-cmd (http://lwn.net/Articles/341902/):
>
> $ trace-cmd record -e kvm -b 20000
> ^C
> $ trace-cmd report

please give me some time to set up the trace-cmd utility for capture.
i also want to run with the latest kernel and qemu-kvm once. i will
post the results soon.

the kernel version im using is 2.6.33 and qemu-kvm version is 0.12.3
and qemu version is 0.13. also im not doing any fancy relocations with
the IO APIC.