qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] KVM call minutes for Feb 8

From: Anthony Liguori
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] KVM call minutes for Feb 8
Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2011 20:59:06 +0100

On 02/09/2011 06:48 PM, Blue Swirl wrote:
ISASerialState dev;

isa_serial_init(&dev, 0, 0x274, 0x07, NULL, NULL);
Do you mean that there should be a generic way of doing that, like
sysbus_create_varargs() for qdev, or just add inline functions which
hide qdev property setup?

I still think that FDT should be used in the future. That would
require that the properties can be set up mechanically, and I don't
see how your proposal would help that.

Yeah, I don't think that is a good idea anymore. I think this is part of why we're having so many problems with qdev.

While (most?) hardware hierarchies can be represented by device tree syntax, not all valid device trees correspond to interface and/or useful hardware hierarchies.

We want to have an interface to create large chunks of hardware (like an i440fx) which then results in a significant portion of a device tree.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori