qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] KVM call minutes for Feb 8

From: Gleb Natapov
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] KVM call minutes for Feb 8
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2011 15:27:30 +0200

On Thu, Feb 10, 2011 at 01:51:14PM +0100, Anthony Liguori wrote:
> On 02/10/2011 12:13 PM, Gleb Natapov wrote:
> >
> >Which spec? Even in this discussion we completely mixed different
> >things. 440FX is not a chipset.
>
> Yes, it is.  It's a single silicon package with a defined pinout.
> If you don't believe me, re-read the spec.
>
> It's a MCM with the PIIX3 being internally connected.   The
> connection between the i440fx and PIIX3 happens to be PCI but that's
> not always the case.  Sometimes it's a proprietary bus.

Which one? 29054901.pdf describes memory controller and PCI host bridge only.

> >Again you probably mean PIIX3. Even then removing unused ide will free
> >one more PCI slot for my cool virtio disk array. The things is, from
> >code point of view, it does not cost you extra to allow composition of
> >ide since it is just a regular PCI device and we need to support composing
> >those anyway.
>
> If this is useful, and it doesn't break guests, you can always do
> -device i440fx,ide=off.  However, it's an exception where we're
> deviating from how hardware works.

I don't care how command line will look like, but I do not see how you
will support ide=off without device composition unless you put ad-hoc
ifs all over your i440fx device code.

And I don't understand what do you mean by saying that this is not how
hardware works. Presence or absence of PCI device does not change how
hardware works.

> And that's okay, but the base modelling ought to follow real
> hardware closely with deviations being the exception.

You keep saying this without explaining why. But with device composition
you will have exactly that, you will compose real chipsets using config
files, not code.

--
                        Gleb.