qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Re: [RFC] prep: enable irq sharing on ide again

From: Gerd Hoffmann
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Re: [RFC] prep: enable irq sharing on ide again
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2011 12:22:45 +0100

On 02/08/11 00:26, Alexander Graf wrote:
The new ISA infrastructure checks for potential irq sharing bugs on
interrupt lines, because usually irq lines on isa can't be shared.

The PREP spec however mandates that the irq lines for both IDE ports
are shared and according to Aurelien this also used to work just fine.

So let's add a way to enable this sharing again, so we don't introduce
unnecessary regressions over older versions of Qemu.

Had a patch for that, got shoot down for reasons I don't remember, attached for reference. It basically allows IRQ sharing in case the two devices sharing the IRQ are of the same kind. In that case you usually have a single guest driver handling both devices and IRQ sharing works most of the time.

I don't mind much which approach we take ...

cheers,
  Gerd