qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: [RFC] qapi: events in QMP

From: Anthony Liguori
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: [RFC] qapi: events in QMP
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2011 07:43:39 -0600

On 02/16/2011 02:50 AM, Kevin Wolf wrote:
Am 16.02.2011 01:59, schrieb Anthony Liguori:
On 02/15/2011 07:38 AM, Luiz Capitulino wrote:
On Tue, 15 Feb 2011 10:20:01 +0100
Kevin Wolf<address@hidden>   wrote:

Am 14.02.2011 20:34, schrieb Anthony Liguori:

On 02/14/2011 12:34 PM, Luiz Capitulino wrote:

On Mon, 14 Feb 2011 08:39:11 -0600
Anthony Liguori<address@hidden>    wrote:

On 02/14/2011 06:45 AM, Luiz Capitulino wrote:

So the question is: how does the schema based design support extending
commands or events? Does it require adding new commands/events?

Well, let me ask you, how do we do that today?

Let's say that I want to add a new parameter to the `change' function so
that I can include a salt parameter as part of the password.

The way we'd do this today is by checking for the 'salt' parameter in
qdict, and if it's not present, use a random salt or something like that.

You likely want to do what you did before. Of course that you have to
consider if what you're doing is extending an existing command or badly
overloading it (like change is today), in this case you'll want to add
a new command instead.

But yes, the use-case here is extending an existing command.

However, if I'm a QMP client, how can I tell whether you're going to
ignore my salt parameter or actually use it?  Nothing in QMP tells me
this today.  If I set the salt parameter in the `change' command, I'll
just get a success message.

I'm sorry?

{ "execute": "change", "arguments": { "device": "vnc", "target": "password", "arg": "1234",
"salt": "r1" } }
{"error": {"class": "InvalidParameter", "desc": "Invalid parameter 'salt'", "data":
{"name": "salt"}}}

So I'm supposed to execute the command, and if execution fails, drop the
new parameter?  If we add a few optional parameters, does that mean I
have to try every possible combination of parameters?

How is that different from trying out multiple commands? In the end, you
always need some meta information like a schema in order to avoid trying
out which parameters the server supports.

Anyway, I think there's a second interesting point: Adding parameters
does cause these problems, but it's different for data sent from qemu to
the client (return values and events). If we add more information there,
an older client can just ignore it, without even looking at a schema.

So I think we should consider this for return values and definitely do
it for events. Sending out five different messages for a single event
that are completely redundant and only differ in the number of fields is
just insane (okay, they wouldn't actually get on the wire because a
client registers only for one of them, but the code for generating them
must exist).

That's my point when I asked about events in the other thread.

Okay, I had confused myself about this.  It's not quite as bad as I had
been saying.

One of the reasons to have generated allocation function is so that we
can make sure to always pad structures.  Since all optional fields has a
bool to indicate the fields presence, by setting the allocated structure
to zero, we can support forwards compatibility for structures.
I think in most cases we would even get away with a default value
instead of the bool. For example for strings, NULL would be a very clear
indication that the field wasn't there in the JSON message.

In order to support forwards compatibility, we need to have a zero-value for non-presence. For strings or pointers, NULL would work very well.

But for integers, I'm not sure we can reasonably use 0 as a universal default value. We could just use has_ fields for non-pointers but I figured consistency would make the code more robust since it's hard to tell that a field is really optional vs. required. For instance:

typedef struct BlockInfo {
    const char *device_name;
    bool has_backing_file;
    const char *backing_file;
} BlockInfo;

It's very obvious that backing_file is optional. If you don't set has_backing_file (because you're incorrectly treating backing_file is required), it will fail immediately as the field won't be marshalled.

OTOH:

typedef struct BlockInfo {
     const char *device_name;
     // optional
     const char *backing_file;
} BlockInfo;

Is a bit easier to screw up. If you happen to not do the NULL check and work with a client that's sending it, you can end up with a NULL pointer dereference pretty easily.

If we expect to add fields later, we just have to make sure we use a
structure to encapsulate things.
As stated before, I think we should use structures for all events. I
still don't understand why we should have an exception for events. Any
other command returns structures, too, and you don't automagically pull
their fields up one level anywhere except for events.

That's not entirely true. For human-monitor-command, we return a bare string. For all other commands, we return structures specifically to enable better forwards compatibility.

I do agree that for most of our events, we should be using a structure for passing information. That's not what we're doing today but there's only a couple events that are even doing that so fixing it won't be that bad.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori

Kevin