qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] A question regarding QEMU.

From: Lluís
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] A question regarding QEMU.
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2011 17:04:26 +0100

Chung Hwan Kim writes:

> I and two other students have formed up a team for a project called
> "Accelerating Dynamic Binary Translation with the GPUs". As the name of
> the project suggests our main idea is to parallelize Dynamic Binary
> Translation (DBT) process and speed it up with GPUs using the NVIDIA
> CUDA library.

AFAIK, DBT is a fairly control flow intensive code, so you'll probably
run into lots of branch divergence problems, so that performance will
suffer a lot, even if you use instruction template tables (like in
qemu's PPC target).

Nonetheless, I think new fermi models have less problems with that, but
it's still an architecture thought for control-flow-homogeneous parallel
code.

In any case, I'm not sure what is the real cost of translation related
to execution, it all depends on the kind of applications you're running;
but the computation on the GPU better have a huge speedup compared to
the current approach, or otherwise the data transfers to/from the GPU
will dominate the cost, specially if they're small transfers.

Lluis

 Tollbooth