qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: Strategic decision: COW format

From: Anthony Liguori
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: Strategic decision: COW format
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2011 13:47:51 -0600

On 02/18/2011 01:11 PM, Kevin Wolf wrote:
A new file format like fvd would be a challenge for the existing ones.
Declare its support as unsupported or experimental, but let users
decide which one is best suited to their needs!
Basically this is what we did for QED. In hindsight I consider it a
mistake because it set a bad precedence of inventing something new
instead of fixing what's there.

I don't see how qcow3 is fixing something that's there since it's still an incompatible format.

It'd be a stronger argument if you were suggesting something that was still fully compatible with qcow2 but once compatibility is broken, it's broken.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori

  I really don't want to convert all my
images each time to take advantage of new qemu version.

Kevin