qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: Strategic decision: COW format

From: Anthony Liguori
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: Strategic decision: COW format
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2011 14:31:27 -0600

On 02/18/2011 11:43 AM, Stefan Weil wrote:

Is maintaining an additional file format really so much work?
I have only some personal experience with vdi.c, and there maintainance
was largely caused by interface changes and done by Kevin.
Hopefully interfaces will stabilize, so changes will become less frequent.

A new file format like fvd would be a challenge for the existing ones.

FVD isn't merged because it's gotten almost no review. If it turns out that it is identical to an existing format and an existing format just has a crappy implementation, it wouldn't be merged in favor of fixing the existing format.

But if it has a compelling advantage for a reasonable use-case, it will be merged.

I don't know where this whole discussion of "strategic formats" for QEMU came from but that's never been the way the project has operated.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori