qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] KVM call minutes for Feb 22

From: Anthony Liguori
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] KVM call minutes for Feb 22
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2011 12:14:00 -0600

On 02/22/2011 11:32 AM, Alon Levy wrote:
On Tue, Feb 22, 2011 at 06:06:22PM +0200, Michael S. Tsirkin wrote:
Looks like Chris will send minutes too,
so I didn't do much to polish this,
I didn't realise he's doing it until I had this, so
here's the braindump: hope it helps.

1. 0.14 postmortem
- what went well
        wiki for planning
        testing
- what can be improved
        rc - cycle could be longer

2. 0.15 should be end of June
    July 1?
    - features:
      QED
      other?
      virtagent? might be blocked by the rpc issue (discussion followed)

3. virtagent rpc
      what should virtagent use to talk to the world outside of QEMU?
      Generalize QMP?
      Use an external rpc library?
      Do we want to/can we have virtagent out of process?
      Hard to make well with live migration.
Spice had (when migration was bidirectional) an external agent (spice client)
that worked fine with live migration. I agree an external agent makes live
migration more difficult, but I disagree it is a blocker. It did require
bidirectional
data exchange with qemu, but how is that a problem? why do all migrations have
be identical to to-file migrations?

I don't understand well enough exactly how this worked in Spice but there are a few reasons migration is unidirectional. Namely:

1) Round trips during the critical phase add downtime that is proportional to the latency between two nodes. As a rule, if you had bidirectional migration, it needs to minimize the number of round trips to the lowest number possible. Having zero round trips is therefore always desirable.

2) Migrate-to-file doesn't work if bidirectional communication is required.

3) So far, all forms of bidirectional requirement can be/have been satisfied by encapsulating the QEMU migration protocol within another protocol. This use of layering is the preferred approach to extension and is what the current migration code is designed for.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori