qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Re: x86_64 debugging while in 32-bit mode

From: vagran
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Re: x86_64 debugging while in 32-bit mode
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2011 16:17:55 +0200

Hi,
I have a problem with debugging 64-bit emulation using Qemu GDB stub. The
problem is that Qemu always sends x86_64 registers set disregarding current actual mode of an emulated CPU. It results in error message in GDB - "Remote 'g' packet reply is too long: ...". Yes, I understand that in case I will execute "set architecture i386:x86-64:intel" command it will show me correct registers
content. But the problem is that in such case it will incorrectly try to
disassemble the code and unwind the stack - it will interpret it as 64-bit while it is actually 32-bit. In my understanding Qemu should dynamically change the format of "g" and "G" packets depending on current CPU mode. On the other end,
user could change manually GDB current architecture by corresponding "set
architecture" command.
Please correct me, if I am not right. May be there is some existing methodology of debugging Qemu emulated x86_64 architecture in different CPU modes. For now, I have strong intention to make a patch for Qemu GDB stub, at least for me. But
I have impression that this should be corrected in official release too.
Hi,
Seems the problem is not present on the latest version of the Qemu. I had several
installed and occasionally launched old one. Sorry for inconvenience.

Best regards,
Artyom.