qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: KVM call agenda for Jan 25

From: Dushyant Bansal
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: KVM call agenda for Jan 25
Date: Tue, 01 Mar 2011 02:11:31 +0530

On Sunday 27 February 2011 04:19 PM, Stefan Hajnoczi wrote:
On Sat, Feb 26, 2011 at 9:50 PM, Dushyant Bansal
<address@hidden>  wrote:
Disk block size is usually 512 bytes and in qemu-img, sector size is also
512B. And, this change would  copy n sectors even if only one of them
actually contains data (while cp checks and copies one block(=sector) at a
time). Therefore, it will end up writing more data than cp.
cp(1) from GNU coreutils 8.5 works in units of 32 KB on my system.  It
reads 32 KB and checks for all zeroes.  If there are all zeroes, it
seeks ahead 32 KB in the output file.  Otherwise it writes the entire
32 KB.

You can check what cp(1) is doing using strace(1).
yes, you are right. I was reading from a much older coreutils source.
virtual size: 10G (10737418240 bytes)
disk size: 569M

convert->  original
time    0m52.522s

convert->  modified (resultant disk size: 5.3G)
time    2m12.744s

cp
time    0m51.724s (same disk size)
virtual size: 10G (10737418240 bytes)
disk size: 3.6G

convert->  original
time    1m52.249s

convert->  modified (resultant disk size: 7.1G)
time    3m2.891s

cp
time    1m55.320s (same disk size)
In these results, we can see that resultant disk size has increased.
If I'm reading this correctly then qemu-img convert is within a few
seconds of cp(1) for you?
I have collected and attached some more time results for different operations on a 2.2G image.
qemu-img convert is close to cp.

qemu(modified):
IO_BUF_SIZE = (2 * 1024 )
if any sector is non-null, write all sectors

--
Dushyant